I have been racking my brains to come up with a post for the last couple of days. We are dealing with a bunch of fevers and puke, so really blogging hasn’t been a top priority. That being said, I am trying to be dedicated to this, and a blog post doesn’t always have to be deep and insightful. Does it?
So here, in no particular order are 10 of my favourite things. I am not including my kiddo, hubs, or pets…well, maybe my dog, but these are other things that I love.
10) I love, love, love to travel. Preferably by ground. I hate to fly. As a teen, and a huge disappointment to my parents, I dropped out of college and backpacked across Canada. It was probably one of the defining moments in my life. I later moved to Nunavut for work, and honeymooned in Australia and Hong Kong. I would love to travel more, I want to see India, and explore China. I want to stay in a castle (Damn you Downton Abbey) and I want to see more of this world!
9)Books. I love to read. I always have. As a kid I would read several at a time, leaving them all over the house. Now I have a Kindle; I still have several on the go, but they are all in one neat package. Some of my favourite books include: Kicking Tomorrow -Daniel Richler, The Apprenticeship Of Duddy Kravitz – Mordecai Richler, The Catcher In The Rye – J.D. Salinger, The Anne Of Green Gables series – Lucy Maude Montgomery, I’m also partial to Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman, and Harry Potter…
8) Gardening. I suck at it, I hate bugs, but I love the feel of soil, water, and mud. I like to be dirty. The smell of the earth just makes my day. Last summer I dug out 3 gardens in my backyard, and the summer before I dug out a huge front garden. I love the colours of flowers, they make me happy
7) I love a good storm. I like feeling deliciously scared. Watching the trees whip around in the wind like they are paper, hearing the thunder crack, and to see the lightning spear across the sky. I love the smell of the rain, and the cool air it brings on hot summer nights. I will often turn all the lights out, and sit with my window open just to experience it all without getting wet. I love me a good storm.
6) Photography. I love to capture moments in time. Happy, sad, angry. I love share in someone else’s moment. I used to develop film in a darkroom, before the digital age. I would sit impatiently waiting to see what transpired; did I get my shot? Was it saying what I wanted it to say? I loved to screw around with filters, and washes. Now, I love my digital camera, but I really miss the darkroom and the wonders it held.
5) I said I wouldn’t say my dog, but I lied…and now you’re halfway through, you have to finish. I love my big dumb dog. Her name is Stella…yep…Stellaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. That’s her. She’s a lab/retriever/ridgeback. We adopted her at 6 weeks from a shelter. She was adorable. We soon came to discover she wasn’t the brightest bulb in the box, but I didn’t care. She was my dog. She is loving, loud, and obnoxious. Just like me.
4) I love to pour over the weekly ads that show up in my mailbox on Thursday and Friday. I love to go through each one, noting the discounts, what’s new, and what I just have to have. I never really buy any of it. But I love to look. Same with Avon books. A neighbour sells it, and every two weeks she pops one in the box. I don’t wear makeup, and I don’t have time to do my nails, but I love to see what is coming into fashion. I again love colours. I just wish I had time and energy to devote to them…
3) I love the water. Lakes, oceans, streams, pools, I love them all. I love to hear the water, feel it. I love to watch it shape itself, knowing if I look away it will take on a new shape. Each ripple, wave, white cap, speak to me. I blame it on being a Pisces, but I don’t know if that’s it. I love how water is cleansing. We shower to clean, we cry to clean our souls. I love to watch things in the water, bugs, frogs, fish. I love fish. I have two goldfish, Ferris and Cameron. I can sit for hours watching them swim around their tank, it is beyond relaxing.
2) Talking. I will pretty much talk to anyone. I love people, I love to learn what makes them tick. I enjoy their stories. I often think that I like to live vicariously off of others because my life is so boring! It’s not really, but sometimes… I think I am rather approachable, usually it just takes a smile and the next thing you know I am in an in-depth conversation about politics, or child rearing, or even laundry detergent.
1) Lastly, I love soup. There is nothing that makes me feel better than a good bowl of soup. Hot, warm, home-made soup. Broth based, or cream, veggies, noodles, meat, fish…GAWD I love soup. Now, I do not ever put crackers in my soup, that would of course RUIN it! I do usually add pepper though. Soup with Pepper. If I ever had a million dollars, I would totally open a restaurant that served soup and sandwiches. That’s it. Coffee, tea, water, pop, and soup and sandwiches. A girl can dream….
Anyways, not my usual post. But these are a few of my favourite things!